Bat Wooden 180mm
These economical bats are the workhorse of a pottery studio and when cared for will last for years. They are slightly absorbent for good clay adhesion, made from tempered hardboard which is constructed from compressed wood fibres and tempered with a thin spray of linseed oil. We use 4.5mm thick tempered hardboard for ease of use on our wheels.
To extend the life of your bats the following information may help :-
• Do not soak in water – this could over time cause the fibres to swell and warp your bat.
• Do not flex your tempered hardboard bats while they are wet – wet fibres are more pliable in this state and can lead to irreversible warpage.
• Cleaning your bat after each use will help prolong its life.
• Metal tools can also scratch the bat if used too aggressively.
• Store your bats horizontally if possible.
• Make sure they are completely dry before using again.
NOTE:- If you do find your bats warping over time all is not lost and can often be easily fixed . We suggest stacking your warped bat/bats on a very flat surface and placing a really heavy object on top. After a few day they should return to their original state.